Tuesday, November 08, 2005


Two weeks ago was one of those periods in my life when I thought that God had made a large mistake in entrusting two small children to a creature like myself...and definitely thinking that perhaps there was also a mistake in the selection of children he placed with Pat and I. It was one of those times that I was reminded of Pat's fatherhood mantra: some genes are never intended to cross one another because of what they produce. This is something he says jokingly at times, when the tension in the Helms house is rising, and the tone is not so, well, happy.

Anyway, I was living through such a week and recalling the Scripture verse that instructs parents not to frustrate their children, and the other Scripture verse instructing children to obey their parents, and wondering why theory is easy and reality is tough....and tormenting myself with how I have failed and how I am the most beastly mother, and why can't I pick on someone my own size and be above fighting with three year-olds?

And through a series of events- really boring to discuss- God made me aware that what we are lacking in our home during the day-time hours, is structure. Because we are pre pre-school home, and a very energetic one at that,the three of us have been getting on one another's nerves, and conflicting often. So, out with the old, in with the new.

For the past couple of weeks now, little old uncertified teacher me, has been responsible to prepare lessons for a three year old, and a deperately-wanting-to-grow-up one year-old. And get this...I love it. We are having a blast learning about the mating habits of woodland ducks- Anna's choice, and discussing the history of Thanksgiving- my choice. Josh sits in a chair and generally eats, or draws with and chews on crayons. He doesn't have a choice in lessons yet. But for Anna and I especially, structured time in the morning is a great opportunity to systematically pursue spiritual learning (Bible stories, memorizing the catechism, and prayer). And for Josh, the time is beneficial in teaching him to sit still at the table, and learn how to play quietly without my help.

So, praise God for small breakthroughs- actually, in this case, for big breakthroughs, as I learn very slowly but surely what it looks like to grow up and be a more responsible, involved parent.


5 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Susanna Rose said...

Sister, you do have some fiesty children(; but I can see them growing up and learning to control themselves as every child needs to learn to do. It is fun to see their personalities developing and I think it is so neat you are doing lessons with Anna! She's already very quick but these lessons will be so good for her when she starts school. Well, I love the picture...Josh is such a hoot to watch(and watch eat!!)

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Susanna Rose said...

Woops... the world's greatest speller meant "feisty"(=

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Susanna Rose said...

Rick again, still requesting "other" as an option to post a commment =)

...so what are the mating habits of woodland ducks?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Corrin said...

I love reading your blog and it makes me want to start my own...I have been thinking about it for six months and so I am going to finally do something about it. I love reading about your family life. Keep it up.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Grace Challies said...

Maryanne! I love the pic of anna she looks beautiful! And Josh on the horse...very cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home