Friday, November 11, 2005


This morning I woke up to an unusual situation: a perfectly clean, quiet home. I also woke up at 7:30, instead of 6:00. And here it is 8:59 in the morning, and I am still unshowered and unbreakfasted...and it feels great. Because yesterday afternoon, I piled the little mini-me's into the car and drove them to Mimi's house (Mimi is my mom) for the weekend. Every few months, my gracious and thoughtful mother offers to house the Helms kids for a few days so that Pat and I can go have some time to ourselves, to spend however we want.

Last Fall, Pat and I chose to stay at a beautiful bed-and-breakfast in Highlands, North Carolina (the enclosed picture is of the house we could see from our porch). It was tucked way back in the woods, and had a pond that misted over every morning. It was breathtaking. It was also bank-breaking. So this year we decided to stick a little closer to home, and spend less money...

Last night we went out for dinner and Starbucks, then came home and watched episode after episode of The Office, BBC's version of the sitcome series playing in the States right now. In my opinion, BBC does a better job, with intriguing characters and that zany British Monty-Pythonish humor. It was good mental health for Pat and I to laugh, after several weeks and weekends full of his being on call, carrying around the Blackberry (our third child- it's as high maintenance).

This morning, we are heading up into the North Georgia mountains to do some hiking. At least, I hope to hike. Unfortunately, when Pat brings along his camera, we usually fall into a slow, geriatric-like pace with me nagging him to stop taking pictures...and then stopping to take pictures every few leaves and trees along the way. So, just in case the actual hiking part of the hike is a bust, I did my pre-run on the treadmill. After the hike, it's on to the outlet mall to see whether we can find any Christmas gifts for the kids, and then on to dinner with our good friends, the Bruschi's.

So, the weekend is shaping up to be a fun one, and the weather here is gorgeous...with just enough leaves on the trees that the mountains should still be stunning. I'll be sure to post some pictures tomorrow of our weekend adventures. And to those reading, I hope you're enjoying the happenings of the Helms!!!

Have a good weekend!

4 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger Matthew Smith said...

Hey Maryanne!

HURRAY! I'm so glad to have a fellow blogging buddy...and mom, at that :0) Hmm, in some ways I wonder if I'll be in your shoes in a few years, so I can learn from all your great stories! It's been fun reading. I have you on my RSS feed, so I can check in daily. I'm afraid my blogging is going to taper off for the next few weeks while I'm back at work, but hopefully pick up again after that.

Love,
AC

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous The Crabbs said...

Hey Maryanne! I have really enjoyed reading your blog and hopefully we can catch up with you guys soon! I know how hectic it can be with a child, much less two and sometimes mommies (and dads) need the time to yourself...as I am already starting to see. Hope you and Pat enjoy the weekend "off"!

The Crabbs

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Susanna Rose said...

It sounds like you're having a fun time! I'm excited to see the pictures from your hike/stroll!

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Barbara Challies said...

Maryanne,finally I have managed to break through to your site...It is great - will be fun to read every day. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home