Thursday, November 17, 2005

(The kids dancing to "Barbie Girl" by Aqua- actually stopping dancing because I have the camera- trying to pass the time til mommy feels better):)


It has been a couple of days since I blogged, because for some reason I cannot seem to fight this flu bug going around enough to truly get on my feet. The past couple of days have been those guilt-ridden, "I am the worst mother in the world days"...because yesterday my mother took care of all of us, and today our netflix movies came in and provided the child-care. So, I dozed on the living-room chair when I could, and tried to fit in loads of laundry around the needs of the little ones. I think that so far, going into year four of motherhood, my least favorite part of the journey is sickness. Because when I go down, not only do the kids ususally go down around me, providing lots of bodily messes for me to clean up, but the on-call phone still rings...and there is just half-alive, feverish, stomach-flu me to answer. To do the laundry. To kiss and cuddle. To read the books. To open the door and watch the kids play outside. To fix dinner. To tuck into bed, when I jealously look on, wishing I could be in bed myself.

But, the fact of the matter is...this morning when I was walking on the treadmill- "the calm before the storm", is what my treadmill is to me...I was thinking, "I am so blessed. I have this nasty little virus-bug living inside of me for two weeks now...but I have use of my legs...and I have use of my mind...I have healthy children...my husband is employed. I am on the road to heaven"...And all these thoughts swirled through my head, and I was humbled and appreciative of the relatively small cross I have to bear right now.

Charles Spurgeon, great preacher that he was, actually churned out a vast number of sermons and books from his BED. He was troubled with gout most of his adult life, and was in enormous pain regularly. Yet, he felt that even his sick years should be spent productively, so he continued to organize and oversee an ever-expanding ministry from his bed. Completely inspiring...unfortunately, while I would love to say that I did something marvellous and heroic today in the midst of my sick day, I did not. But my children are alive, my library books returned (late, with a $10.00 fine), my husband had a hot dinner tonight, and the laundry is complete, though piled.

Things should be looking up for tomorrow though. I am feeling more alive tonight than I have in a couple of days. I think I finally have the stomach to start planning out our Thanksgiving menu...hosted by yours truly on Thursday. We should have quite a crowd, so the load will be dispersed, but there is still a lot of coordinating left to do. Happy Thursday loyal readers, and I'll be back tomorrow!

2 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Barbara Challies said...

Interesting post, Maryanne. Spurgeon's wife also formed and ran a ministry donating books to poor pastors from HER bed.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Alina said...

I am sorry you've been sick, Maryanne. I wish I could be there to watch your kiddos and make you some food, but since I can't I am sending you the first ever "virtual chicken soup." Enjoy and I hope you feel better.

Love,
Alina

P.S. Did you have the autumn party at your house or were you down for that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home